Monday, June 8, 2009

Tornado


On Sunday afternoon about 4 miles from our house, this is what we saw! Growing up in the mid-west, I hated the spring/early summer weather, because it always included tornadoes.
When I was in high school, there was the Thornton tornado - June 1981. We were in a lock down situation and didn't get home until almost 5:00 p.m. that day. The tornado did so much damage between 90th & 88th and Washington, many of the houses there experienced severe damage.

Growing up, I remember when we lived in Iowa and we were outside playing. All of a sudden the skies turned an ugly brownish green. The air got very heavy and still. The rains came along with hail and horrible wind. It sounded like a freight train was coming through our living room. A tornado went down our street and damaged random houses on our street. Our house was not damaged, but I just remember thinking I was reliving the Wizard of Oz.

1 comment:

Kiera said...

Wow, that is scary!! I am so scared living in Texas thinking about a tornado hitting us some day!